Student Paper Competition
Student Paper Competition Winners
Each year CORS conducts a student paper competition to recognize the contribution of a paper either directly to the field of operational research through the development of methodology or to another field through the application of operational research. The competition serves to showcase the high quality of OR education in Canada as well as the excellence of the new generation of operational researchers. Prizes are awarded in two categories: Undergraduate and Open. MBA students (and other specialized master students) are encouraged to participate in the competition in the open category with their applied projects.
The applicant must be enrolled as a full-time student in a Canadian institution, in an undergraduate, masters, or PhD program during the school year 2018–2019. Canadians who are studying outside of Canada are also eligible. Applicants in undergraduate programs are eligible to apply in both categories: Open and Undergraduate.
Chair: Tamon Stephen
Deadline to indicate your intent to participate: March 1, 2019
Deadline to submit your full paper: April 1, 2019
Submit your intent to participate by sending an email with the title and abstract to email@example.com
The entry includes:
1. Abstract of 200 words or less. Author's name, address, phone number, and email address. Make sure the abstract clearly highlights the motivation, contribution, and potential impact of the paper.
2. Academic institution and supervisor's name, if applicable.
3. Indication of whether the author is planning to attend the conference regardless of the outcome. Note that papers selected as Finalists must be presented at the conference in order to further be considered for First Prize or Honourable Mention.
4. Indication of whether the paper is submitted to a journal.
5. A PDF copy of the paper:
No longer than 35 pages (with minimum 1-inch margins, maximum 34 lines per page and minimum font size of Times 11) including all figures, tables, appendices, and references.
With separate title page containing the name of the authors, their coordinates and affiliations. Please ensure there are no identifiers on the other pages;
6. An email from the supervisor indicating that the participant is the first author of the paper should be sent to the Competition Chair.
7. Each student’s advisor must participate in the paper review process for the competition. If an advisor cannot participate in the review process, the advisor is expected to find another qualified reviewer for the competition.
- Contribution of the paper either directly to the field of Operational Research through the development of methodology or to another field through the application of Operational Research.
- Writing style, clarity, organization and conciseness of the paper.
Open Category: First Prize $500, Honorable Mention $100
Undergraduate Category: First Prize $200, Honorable Mention $50
All papers selected as Finalists receive a certificate.
If an undergraduate wins the open competition, no undergraduate prize will be awarded. In the case of close competition, papers not winning an award may receive honourable mention.
Finalists selected for the undergraduate category will be eligible to apply for partial funding to attend the CORS Annual Conference. The Education Chair will contact finalists with details.